What type of AHJ is typically code an zoning related?


1 comment

  • Avatar
    Rebekka O'Melia (Edited )

    Yes, our design has to comply with any and all regulations, so we'd have to update the drawings for free after an AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) marks up things.  Building code (typically the IBC or IBC modified) is standard.  The drawings approval and the bldg code are regulated by the Building Dept.  You also need to check on their list of drawings/info required for a permit.

    The zoning regulations of the city would also apply.  These regs cover things like parking, signage, building height and area, etc; and which Use Groups are allowed in each district in the city.  There is a zoning map with different designations - like Residential, Commercial, Industrial.  Each designation may have several types too likes R1, R2 and R3 for different types of residential buildings.

    There's also a Planning Dept that regulates how and where developments are constructed.  (It addresses things like how long a dead-end street can be, sidewalk width, culverts, etc).

    The IBC limits building height and area of buildings by type.  And the zoning also limits building height and area.  BOTH apply at the same time, so whichever is more stringent applies.

    There can also be other local regs.  It's a lot to unpack.  Read the IBC chapter 3 Use & Occupancy IBC, and chapter 5 about Bldg Height & Area.  Also open up your city's zoning regulations to get an idea of the regulations.  This will help you a lot!  And keep in mind that you can volunteer to be on your city's zoning or planning board.

    Hope this answers your question. Keep studying & good luck!

    Rebekka O'Melia, Registered Architect, NCARB, B. Arch, M. Ed, Step UP,  Step UP ARE 5.0 Courses


    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

Powered by Zendesk