I passed PcM on the first try - here’s what I did:
1. I started with Black Spectacles, but found that there was not enough detail - it was too generalized - but definitely a great overview. Then I tried to read PPi’s manual but its just not engaging .... maybe for someone else, but not for me.
2. I then discovered ‘Architect Exam Prep’ ( Eric Corey Freed and David Doucette’s ‘whole enchilada’ program) I took advantage of the free 15 minute coaching call with Eric - it was really helpful, and the price for the comprehensive program is great - definitely a bargain for all that you get in the ‘whole enchilada’. I studied Architect Exam Prep until I could score 95-100% on all the practice tests and case studies.
3. Then I went back to Black Spectacles and did their practice tests until I was scoring 95-100%.
4. Then I looked at the forums and studied Linda’s notes - they are excellent - thank you Linda ! I read relevant sections in AHPP, downloaded the $20 pdf version to my iPad.
5. Please note that taking any ARE test is also a mental game - when I saw that there is a 51/49 % Pass/Fail rate for PcM, it was a wake up call. I usually don’t get much test anxiety at all, but these tests are different. To help with the mental game I used RTT programs at marisapeer.com; the programs on ‘passing exams with confidence and skill’ and ‘memory and concentration’ are both excellent. These are not specific to the ARE’s - just solid training to get the mind ready for any test. Her training took only 20 minutes per day for about a week, and stayed with me throughout the test, eliminating distractions, and made the whole thing easier. I hope this helps, and best of luck to all !
Please sign in to leave a comment.