Appropriate list of documents for foreign degrees



  • Avatar
    Nick NCARB

    Hey Zahra,

    I recommend reaching out to NCARB Cutomer Service. You can read more about the EESA program HERE.

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Adriane Tuccille Comes

    Hi Zahra

    I'm a foreign candidate as well, my architect degree and license are from Brazil. I can tell you what I did so far.

    First of all I had my transcripts and diploma translated. The same company that did the translation, did also a evaluation report saying my degree from Brazil is equivalent to Architecture Bachelor degree in the US.Then, I brought these documents to my School in Brazil and together with the signed Form122 (it is available on NCARB foreign path link) they sent to NCARB by mail. In addition, I had to send my foreign registration form. The entity in Brazil had the Form 263 signed and sent it to NCARB by e-mail. When all these have been done, I had to wait almost 6 months to hear back from NCARB.

    Hope this helps!

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Sabreen Masharkah


    I am going through this process. First, you will need to establish an NCARB Record. After that, add your education details. The record will show that you will need to evaluate your license through NAAB. After you pay the fee to NAAB, they will send you a list of documents you will need to upload and/or mail to NAAB. I did it not long ago and these included:

    - A certified or notarized copy of an official transcript from each post-secondary institution you attended in another country.

    - Transcripts from U.S. institutions must be in an official sealed envelope provided by the institution.

    - Description of all courses taken and recorded on each transcript.

    ps. the course descriptions are one paragraph each taken from the school website or catalog. You could scan the catalog and highlight the courses or as what I did copy from the website and provide a link.

    Also, in your case, you will scan the transcripts from international schools and upload them to the NAAB link they provide you and also mail in the official transcripts. Only transcripts from U.S. schools need to be sent by the institution.

    Both NAAB and NCARB customer service will answer your questions thoroughly either by phone or email so I would also recommend contacting them directly.

    Best Regards!

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Atosa Dehsaraei

    Zahra jan, 

    I went through this process last year, the best method is EESA ( But it needs a lots of documents, time and money.

    I went with the state approval, it depends on your state. I am in California, I checked the state architect board website and they helped me via email. I send my degree evaluation and after their approval I am taking my ARE 5.0 exams now.

    Please let me know if you require any further information. 

    Warm regards,

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Kadina Arosemena Rich (Edited )

    Don't get discouraged, it is pretty straight forward, but it can be a bit expensive. When I did it I follow this process 

    I got my college transcript review by a ECE, I like them, very clear instruction of what to do. They have a list of what they request by country. I have my study plan, my transcripts and the course description translated and certified by a translator in my country and send out them. Also have to request a certified copy of my original transcripts in sealed enveloped. I spend about 300$ on that. 

    After that I follow ECE instructions and send them the info they requested. Pay the fee for course by course. About 120$ more less on that.

    Got my paper back, open the Ncarb account, pay the fee, 83$ or so, got my number and then apply to EESA-NAAB. Send out the ECE transcripts to them together with the translated documentation, pay about 2000$+ here and waited.

    Now NCARB coordinates  it all, so you should have a link once you open your account that guides you. Check the NCARB site

     While I have a license, I did not have the experience to support all the other requirements to have it certified and didn't want to go thru all that either. I wanted to complete the IDP  now the AXP program. 


    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

Powered by Zendesk