I just passed the exam on my second try! please please please do not lose your confidence if you fail for the first time. My advise is to keep moving and book the same exam for the second time. You probably have 60 days to study which is more than enough. try to remember your weakness in the real exam then focus your study on those area until your fully understand them. I also think many people who fails PcM do not have a comprehensive knowledge on B-101 and this is the biggest problem.
Why did I fail the first time? There were many things that I've learnt when I started reviewing the exam materials for the second time. The first time, I had problems with time management and I did not have enough time for my case studies. I also realized that I did not study AIA contracts properly. I had listed to Hardin lectures twice but in order to pass this exam you need to learn these concept not just simply memorizing them.
Why did I pass the second time: Here is the list of materials I studied for this exam for about 1.5 month.
- I studied AHPP based on a PDF I found online. "Navigating the Architect Registration Examination® (5.0) with The Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice, 15th Edition" this shows you the most important sections to study for PcM. It narrows the whole exam down for you to learn who to manage your knowledge. AHPP is your best friend during this exam, try to enjoy reading. You'll not find these information in any other third party videos, books or flash cards!
- I listened to Hardin lectures and I re-read the B-101 contract a couple of times as this is a very important contract to know for PcM. Pay extra attraction to different parties' responsibilities, services and risks. The examples he uses is the perfect way to examine your knowledge.
- I read Ballast book, ballast problem exams and ballast practice exams. I think the most similar questions to the real exam can be found in Ballast questions. So I think Ballast is the most useful third party material for PcM.
- I also got the designer hacks questions which was really simple and was not similar to the exam's questions in any way!
- Don's spend crazy amount of times for financial management calculations. The question is fairly simple and straightforward. You don't need to plan the financial management for a firm from 0 to 100 in the exam. There are just some basic questions which requires a bit of simple calculations.
- I also saw many wrong information on different books and materials. in case of discrepancies, only rely on AHPP as this is the most reliable book and it has been reviewed by many expert before.
- Do not over think on questions, try to eliminate obvious wrong options. It narrows down your answer to one or two possible choice. Most of the time key words help you eliminate all the wrong options. I tried this approach today and it helped me with timing as well as choosing the most appropriate option.
Please sign in to leave a comment.