This was a difficult test and time was an issue - previously I have taken & passed PjM, PA, and PPD.
Topics one should be familiar with:
- Point load & uniform load calculations on a beam
- Height & horizontal spacing of light fixtures (how to calculate light intensity levels)
- Know what k is
- Be comfortable with U and R values
- Construction Details: placing the correct material and/or labeling the parts
- Foundation types & the water table
- Know types of glazing in windows and when to use them
- Wall types and when to use certain ones
- Types of sprinkler systems
- Acoustic issues and how to design for them
- 'Random' mechanical system and electrical questions (sorry I can't help more here)
- Seismic waves and building strategies
- Locations of details/information in a set of drawings
- Know how to calculate a material costs for a given area
- Make sure to know how to convert cubic yards to cubic feet (I know that is basic but pay attention to the units!)
Issues with the software/testing facility:
- VERY VERY slow (20 seconds to load each question completely)
- Crashed mid-test (15 minutes waiting which caused a loss of focus & frustration)
I hope this helps! Good luck!
Please sign in to leave a comment.