questions about conflicts among drawings



  • Avatar
    Gang Chen (Edited )

    Yes, you should be able to read CLSEMP plans. As an architect, you do not need to do the CLSEMP design and calculations, but you should be able to be able to read CLSEMP plans to coordinate them.

    An architect should be a specialist in architectural design, AND a generalist that coordinates all architect’s consultants.

    If you do not have enough experience, you can read books to learn how to read CLSEMP plans. The easiest way is to get a complete set of construction drawings, and look through them a few times.

    Gang Chen, Author, Architect, LEED AP BD+C (

    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Benjamin Eckhard

    Hey Qiang. Yes you will need to know how to read consultant plans (such as MEP) on the exams. A major part of the architect's role is coordinating between the various trades, so the ability to read each trade's drawings is crucial. However you don't need to "memorize" every symbol on a mechanical drawing. It's most important to understand items that affect the architecture, such as ductwork, dampers, lighting symbols, and supply and return grills to name a few.

    I'd suggest finding a set of mechanical drawings (perhaps from your office if you work at a firm) and just review what you are looking at. It will become apparent.

    Ben | Archizam

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

Powered by Zendesk