Consultant Case Study Zoom study session
Thursday's 6pm ET Zoom program is titled, “Consulting Consultants” You’ll take the first five minutes of class to answer the question alone, but if you would like to get a head-start on that, here is the assignment.
An architecture firm has been selected to design an eight-story medical/biological laboratory research building in a cold climate. The project, on a research campus, replaces the previous research facilities which had been scattered throughout the campus. The client has provided the following general information about the project to the architect:
- Total programmed building area – 501,500 NSF / 650,500 GSF
- Total budgeted cost of the work—$119 million
- Construction contingency—$10 million
- Architect’s fee—10% of cost of the work
- 365,000 sf of Group L occupancy (Laboratories) and 285,500 sf of Group B occupancy (Business)
- Climate Zone 7
- Site—3.4 acres
- The client is interested in energy-efficiency
- Because of the extensive ventilation requirements in lab buildings, and the extreme climate at the site, limiting lab ventilation in unoccupied labs is a priority.
- The client is interested in daylight harvesting
- The client would like to incorporate social spaces to promote collaboration
- Next door is a sister organization: a research hospital affiliated with the lab building
- The architecture firm won an international design competition to be awarded the commission
- The competition entry includes an indoor light-filled atrium
- The building is sprinklered
- A third-party commissioning team and a laboratory design consultancy will work with the project throughout design and construction
What should the architect’s priority be, related to the laboratory design consultancy advising on the project? Select the best answer.
- Provide clear and complete drawings for the laboratory design consultancy
- Relay content given by the laboratory design consultancy to the owner “for informational purposes”
- Schedule regular meetings between the architect’s team and the laboratory design consultancy
Please don’t post your answer.
The Zoom meeting will take place at 6pm ET Thursdays in our Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83922907346
It’s free for everyone, so join us.
Please sign in to leave a comment.