Project Planning & Design (PPD) focuses on the preliminary design of sites and buildings. You should be able to demonstrate an understanding of and abilities in design concepts, sustainability/environmental design, universal design, and other forms of governing codes and regulations.
Project Planning & Design Details:
- Number of items: 100
- Test duration: 4 hr 5 min
- Allowed break time: 45 min
- Total appointment time: 5 hr
Preparing for Project Planning & Design? NCARB has created a full-length, scored practice exam specific to Project Planning & Design now available for free in the Practice Exam Dashboard in your NCARB Record if you have ARE eligibilities. You can also find more details and suggested references in our ARE 5.0 Guidelines and test prep video series.
PPD includes sections on the following content areas:
- Environmental Conditions & Context
- Determine location of building and site improvements based on site analysis
- Determine sustainable principles to apply to design
- Determine impact of neighborhood context on the project design
- Codes & Regulations
- Apply zoning and environmental regulations to site and building design
- Apply building codes to building design
- Integrate multiple codes to a project design
- Building Systems, Materials, & Assemblies
- Determine mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- Determine structural systems
- Determine special systems such as acoustics, communications, lighting, security, conveying, and fire suppression
- Determine materials and assemblies to meet programmatic, budgetary, and regulatory requirements
- Project Integration of Program & Systems
- Determine building configuration
- Integrate building systems in the project design
- Integrate program requirements into a project design
- Integrate environmental and contextual conditions in the project design
- Project Costs & Budgeting
- Evaluate design alternatives based on the program
- Perform cost evaluation
- Evaluate cost considerations during the design process
How can I best prepare for the ppd case studies?
I have taken the exam already and failed. This is my second time around.
I failed the 1st time. Prior to the 2nd time, I reviewed the code given in the demo exam. I wasted less time time and knew where to look for the info I needed from the questions. Also I reviewed 4.0 Building Systems - Vignette study material this time.
What are the recommended study materials for the 5.0 system? With 4.0 the study materials were pretty clearly laid out with specific books, flash cards and example exams. I can’t seem to find a list of study materials for 5.0. Are the 4.0 books still valid?
Anyone interested in sharing the Amber Books cost please inbox. Thanks!
My question is about the Demonstration Exam.
Question: Width of the Door and Stair.
Can anybody share the correct answer ?
Hi, I need a capable tutor for PPA. In Woodland Hills area or west LA.
Please contact me at 310-2519935
Contact black spectacle, they tutored me.
I got an incomplete FAIL report, my performance by sections is all missing. What’s is going on with NCARB?
PPD tips anyone?
Please sign in to leave a comment.